Saturday, September 24, 2011

You win some, you lose some

This week has been a very challenging week.  To say the least.  Somehow I managed to lose my voice on Tuesday.  Incredibly strange, but I just woke up without a voice at all.  Boo hiss.  I somehow managed to make it through the work week and even attended a conference in Leesburg on Friday.  The most frustrating thing is having something to say/add during a conversation and not being able to.  


Last night my voice came back about 40% or so, it just sounded like I smoked a carton of cigarettes.  Now due to the busyness of this week on top of the whole voice thing, my workouts have been slim to none.  This week there was 20 on my schedule and I really, really, REALLY wanted to at least get my long run in.  However, it apparently was not in the cards this week.  


Last night I had some serious trouble sleeping - I kept getting up thinking that I had missed my alarm.  But when my alarm went off in the morning, I decided that would at least attempt by 20 miler even though I didn't feel amazing and hadn't really slept.  I met up with Rhonda, Tracey, Jen, and Heather (I believe) in Longleaf and we ran 2.5 miles in Longleaf before "picking up" Melanie at the starting point.  We then headed out on Starkey Boulevard towards Aristida.  


By the time we got to the 5 mile mark, I KNEW that I was not making 20 miles.  I was sweating profusely, coughing here and there, and just exhausted.  As much as it stunk, I told the ladies that I was going to turn around and go home.  I think that listening to my body will hopefully help me recover quickly and get back on track sooner rather than later.  


Once I got home I took at shower and went back to bed immediately.  It was much needed and really great.  I told Ben that I wasn't quite sure what I was thinking even attempting the run after the week and especially the night I had.  I'm going to chalk this one up to a lose, but that's ok.


On a personal note, I did have a chance to make a recipe that I've had on my list of things to do for a while. (Clean Eating) Black Bean Pumpkin Chili.  I found this website via the suggestion of a super singer/swimmer/biker/running friend of mine Chris Holloway.  (You can read his blog here: http://singswimbikerun.blogspot.com/ or you can check the blog scroll on the side).  And you can also find the Clean Eating website here: http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/ and also on the blog scroll.  Here is the recipe:

Clean Eating Black Bean Pumpkin Chili
Ingredients
1.5 lbs. lean ground turkey meat
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin purée
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans with their water – do not drain (no sugar added)
2 cups chicken broth or stock (no sugar added)
3 tbsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp. onion powder
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Directions
Step 1 – Place the turkey meat, pumpkin purée, black beans with their water and chicken broth in a crock pot. Mix well.
Step 2 – To this, add 1 tbsp. cinnamon, 1 tbsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. garlic powder and 1 tbsp. onion powder.
Step 3 – Cook on high for 4-6 hours, depending on your crock pot.
Step 4 – When the meat is completely cooked, stir in 2 tbsp. cinnamon, 2 tbsp. chili powder, 2 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. curry powder, 1 tbsp. onion powder, honey, vanilla extract and vinegar. Stir well and serve.
Eat and Enjoy!
Nutritional Content
1 serving = 1 cup
Calories: 132
Total Fat: 4 gm
Cholesterol: 34 gm
Sodium: 258 mg (lower if you use low sodium chicken broth)
Carbohydrates: 15 gm
Protein: 9 gm
Nutritional Information estimated at Nutritiondata.com. Data may not be accurate.

I haven't tried it yet - but it smells delicious!!!  Here's a photo of mine (not as pretty as the original). 



I'm going to chalk this one up to a WIN!  Have a great weekend y'all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment