Friday, February 24, 2012

Pump it!


I've been severely neglecting my blog lately, shame on me.  I unfortunately twisted my knee on the cobblestones during the Rock and Roll Half Marathon and have been having some pretty severe knee pain ever since.  I was only able to run about 3.5 miles before my knee would totally lock up and not allow any more running.  Sigh.  And this is a running blog, right?  So what the heck else am I going to write about?!?

I can assure you that I was a miserable person to be around the past two weeks or so because I haven't ran.  After (finally) listening my sister (who is an ICU nurse, and possibly the smartest person I know), Ben, and several other friends I took some time off running.  I also tried just about everything anyone suggested (that seamed reasonable).

My sister started me with the RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate).  RICE is something I try to practice normally, so it didn't feel bad.  And my knee didn't really hurt - unless I was running.  Then, since I'm lucky enough to work with an awesome athletic trainer who just so happens to be a good friend of mine (Hi, Mary!), I did an electric stim treatment during my lunch break this week.

The Stim treatment felt kind of strange at first, but was kind of cool after a little bit.  Mary was kind enough to change me every so many minutes from heat to ice and back and forth... Since I've been advised not to run I've had plenty of time to focus on other things and, of course, think about not running.

My week off has been filled with my first bike ride of 2012 (which was awesome), a yoga workout, two 99 workouts (Starts with 99 jumping jacks, crunches, 99 second wall sit, leg lifts, and 9 push ups.  And then you to 88, 77, 66, 55, 44, 33, 22 and a 11 minute run - thanks Pinterest!), bootcamp, and a few lunch workouts.

Yesterday I decided that I was going to try to go for a run today.  An easy four miles was on the schedule.  I was really nervous but said a little prayer and just started pretty slow.  I can't even describe how amazing it felt to be outside running again. I don't listen to an ipod when I run, so it's really a time for me to de-stress and think.

I'm happy to report that there was no knee pain and I finished with an average pace of 9:30 per mile (which is a little faster than I had intended).  I know this is not ground-breaking, but after not running for a week, I was on Cloud Nine.  Which is why I picked the title "Pump It" for this particular blog.

So now the plan is to slowly work my legs back up to where they were previously.  But I am also going to try to keep up with my cycling, yoga, and workouts and perhaps run a little less than before.  In addition, I would like to keep icing, resting, elevating, stretching, sticking, etc...

Today is official start to my Spring Break.  Woot woot!  Spring Break isn't exactly what it used to be and I will be spending my time catching up on things (like getting glasses, getting my windows tinted, working on the wedding) that I've been putting off since Winter Break!

Tomorrow I get to witness my nephew (pictured below with Uncle Ben discussing why his Gingerbread House doesn't meet code) attend his first "race".


This is the first year Alex is eligible to run, and he will be doing the 30 yard dash.  I'm not sure he is aware of what is actually going on, but 30 yards is totally manageable for this kid!  Hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment