Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fastinista!!

When I got this past month's Runner's World in the mail, I was pretty excited to see women's fashion as one of the features.  (Honestly, I actually get pretty excited every single time that I see the new Runner's World in the mailbox because it always re-motivates my running.  Just checking out all the inspirational stories, famous athletes/runners, etc... is a "treat"). If you know me, by now you know that I'm a huge nerd - obviously.

Anyway, here is a link to the article: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-240-320--14026-0,00.html


The new wave in women's fashion has created women runners called fastinistas or "stunners" ("stunners," for "stylish + runners). (Side note - do NOT google stunners at work.  The results are NSFW!).  I personally think that women and men alike should wear running clothes that make him or her feel good and are comfortable.

The response to this article has been mainly negative.  Here is one:

himantura
NO NO NO. As a women I am sick and tired of being told to embrace my feminine side. Running is not about fashion, it's about just running, or gutting out the 32k training run, or busting your butt at the track doing speedwork, finding some inner peace on the trails, or just enjoying a run. If you are concerned about your appearance, there is something drastically wrong. I get fancy dress and a bit of fun at a race, but I can't stand the high-fashion girly thing. We should not be judging or admiring our female athletes because of what they are wearing. Fashion is fine on cat walks but it should keep of the asphalt. If they choose to wear pigtails, or red dresses or tanks and arm warmers (how is that a fashion statement?) that's fine, it's their choice. But that is not what we should be celebrating about them. I am sick to death of trying to find womens running gear and being faced with wall to wall pink, flowery patterns and 'yoga style' clothing. What is wrong with shorts and a t-shirt.
Paula Radcliffe is my hero - nasal strip, compression socks, womens marathon world record, the lot!
 (you can them if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the article)

12:03 AM on July 20, 2011

Now, I think the comment above is a little extreme, to say the least.  I have no problem finding clothes that are gray or black whenever I look for clothes at any running store.  I once read an interview done with Olympic skier Lindsey Vonn that was really interesting - here's the quote:
You wear makeup when you ski. Is that part of your routine?
I feel more confident when I wear it, and I think that comes across in my skiing. If you look good, you feel good
Here's a link to the article: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/real-plans/celebrity/lindsey-vonn-interview/?page=3

Bottom line, she is so right, if you look good, you feel good!  Wear makeup, wear skirts, wear dresses, or wear t-shirts and shorts.  Here's to feeling and looking good, ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment